Loop heat pipe thermal solutions are completely passive (minimal moving parts), two-phase heat transfer devices that are bendable, flexible and routable. They can even operate as thermal diodes to prevent backward heat leak. Ideal for cooling the dispersed control systems found throughout today’s military aircraft, Thermacore loop heat pipes can incorporate multiple evaporators and passive/active thermal regulations.
Aavid Thermacore loop heat pipes are at work in aerospace, medical/test equipment and satellite thermal management applications, helping designers meet the strictest specifications and deal with the most rugged operating environments.
For simple, lightweight and flexible heat removal — in long-distance heat transfer applications where conventional heat pipes aren’t feasible — the Therma-Loop® heat pipe offers cost-saving, high performance. It has a wick structure only in the evaporator, allowing a low-mass solution. In its simplest configuration, Therma-Loop is gravity-aided and has no wick structure.
Aavid Thermacore Loop Heat Pipe Advantages
- Totally passive (no external energy required)
- Transports heat up to 75 feet (23 meters)
- Broad operating temperature range — for cryogenic to high-temperature applications
- Flexible and flex fatigue resistance (tested to more than 7.5 million flex cycles)
- Resists gravity loads (9g-capable), shock, vibration, freeze and thaw
- Versatile heat load capabilities (for dissipating a few watts or many kW)